Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Before and After: Worshipping at the Church of BBQ

Confession time:  I stepped into a Catholic Church for the first time in 10 years yesterday to take this photograph.  Hail Mary, Hail Mary, Hail Mary!  I promise you, Lord, that I will do better.  That said, let's talk about how beautiful and classic church pews are.  I came across two pews in front of a church a couple of months ago, and I stopped in my tracks.  They were for sale for $100 for the pair.   I knew that they would make perfect benches for our back yard renovation project. 


After studying the benches for a while, I decided that racing stripes were the obvious choice for their revival.  
I have always loved classic hot rod race cars- and what's more American than hot rods + BBQ?  I first sanded, and then primed the benches with an oil based primer.  For the bench base color I chose Benjamin Moore Blue Macaw Exterior Satin paint.  For the racing stripes I used Krylon Banner Red Indoor/Outdoor Gloss paint.


These finished benches provide ample seating and a good conversation piece for our backyard BBQs.  I guess you could say that technically, I still spend a lot of Sundays sitting and spiritualizing in Church Pews....Praise the Lord!

Happy painting
-Nancy

P.S.  If you feel inspired to take on a church pew revival project of your own- try finding pews on Craigslist.  I went on my local (San Francisco) Craigslist this morning and found 10 pews for sale.


  


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the colors you used, Nancy! And the fact that you did not put stripes on the whole pew is quite artsy but not too much for the eyes. By the way, getting these two pews for only $100 is a great deal!

    Earnestine Kettering

    ReplyDelete